Staying to work after study

To stay in NZ to work after your studies, you’ll need a work visa.

If you wish to stay in New Zealand and work after you have finished your studies, you will need the right visa.

If you have achieved a New Zealand qualification, you may be able to apply for a post-study work visa that lets you stay in New Zealand for up to three years once you have completed your study. This will allow you to get some practical work experience.

If your work is in an occupation that has skill shortages, this improves your chances of finding a job in New Zealand. After your post-study work visa you may be eligible to apply for a further work visa or a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category.

Whatever visa you apply for, you will need to pass health and character checks.

For more information on resident visas to work in New Zealand indefinitely, including videos from others who have stayed to work after studying in New Zealand, see