Jobs you can’t do

There are restrictions on some types of work that international students are allowed to do.

There are some types of employment that international students are not permitted to do.

International students aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They must work as a worker (or employee) with an employment agreement, and not as an independent contractor.

International students also can’t provide commercial sexual services. In other words, they can’t work as a prostitute, act as an operator of a New Zealand prostitution business or invest in a prostitution business.