Students staying after study

International students will need a visa to stay to work after their studies are completed.

To stay on in New Zealand and work after they have finished their studies, international students need the appropriate work visa.

Depending on their area of study, they may have the opportunity to stay and work in New Zealand for up to three years, and possibly even gain residence.

First, however, they will need to apply for a visa and have it approved. A post-study work visa allows an international student graduate to get practical work experience.

After working on a post-study work visa, graduates may have sufficient New Zealand work experience to apply for a further New Zealand work visa or residence visa. If their work is in an occupation that has skill shortages, then this improves their chances of being granted a further visa.

Whatever visa an international student applies for, they will need to meet Immigration New Zealand’s health and character requirements.